The Hardparts Designer will work on a variety of different product categories: helmets, goggles, boots and bags.
Use your perspective to create products that merchandise back with the apparel line and capture the KLIM DNA. Understand the competitive landscape, leverage hands on experience and customer feedback to uncover areas to improve functionality and create game changing products. Collaborate with the POD (Product Developer and Product Line Manager) throughout the process to insure the functional, design, price point, and quality expectations are met. Develop strong working relationships with sourcing, sales, and marketing partners.
- - Responsible for the cohesiveness of assigned product categories and ensure the product is consistent with market trends and business strategy.
- - Design a given number of products per season as well as managing carry- overs for assigned collections.
- - Attend trade shows, research global markets, and review industry publications to stay current with market trends and new construction techniques.
- - Administers a pro-active role through the entire design/development process: research, design concept presentation, ideation, fabric/trim/print direction, tech pack generation, and sample review.
- - Maintain an in depth understanding of customer.
- - Gather customer insight on existing products and future designs and concepts.
- - Meet all timelines.
- - Keen ability to follow a product brief and design to a specific target FOB. Mentor team to accomplish the same task.
- - Capacity to imagine, capture and express a brand’s essence through unique product concepts, design and styling.
- - Collaborates with sourcing, factories, suppliers and other team members to achieve 'state of the art' opportunities for product innovation.
- - Assist in setting and follows creative standards established by Management.
- - Supply complete Tech Packs to the Product Development on schedule that are 100% accurate. Maintain tech packs throughout the development process.
- - Work with the product development team to review samples, strike offs and counter samples and make recommendations for corrections.
- - Performs other duties as required/assigned by manager.
- - Travel as necessary to facilitate the development and sampling process.
- - Performs duties consistent with the company’s AAP/EEO goals and policies.
Education and Experience
- - 3-5 years of professional experience designing hard parts and/or accessories.
- - Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design.
- - Possess the ability of communicating a concept thru free hand sketching as well as on the computer.
- - Proficiency in Solidworks (3D CAD).
- - Hand sculpting is a plus.
- - Highly developed conceptual, creative and analytical skills.
- - Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- - High level knowledge of competitive product, retail environments and market influences.
- - Self-motivated and flexible.
- - Eager to learn.
- - Ability to work independently toward project goals and timelines with little direction.
- - Ability to identify unseen problems and come up with appropriate solutions.
- - Ability to work with multiple personalities in a diverse, fast paced environment to create a team atmosphere.
- - Must have exceptional ability to manage time professionally and execute ideas from initial concept to completion.
- - Ability to work under pressure to meet strict deadlines.
- - Exceptional knowledge of the action sports.
The Technical Designer will be responsible for directly managing all aspects of the development of multiple products across multiple categories, from design hand-off to final pre-production prototype. This position requires driving and developing products to achieve COE quality standards.
Responsibilities also include, product labeling and organization for all Milestone meetings, collaboration with both PLM, design and development staff to accomplish line plan target revenue and margin goals. Monitor Timelines on all projects from design hand-off to production approval, and coordinate all tasks with the category team.
- - Work with Sr. Technical Designer to initiate product testing with the PLM Team.
- - Manage style pre-costing and analyze all subsequent prototype costing to ensure yield, material costs, and FOB’s are accurate and meet margin objectives from conceptual design to Pre-Production Samples.
- - Collaborate with Sr. Technical Designer and Design team in the following:
- - Contribute ideas for construction, materials and components to enhance functionality, aesthetics, fit and margin
- - Adhere to product/seasonal timeline by scheduling Fit and Construction meetings on a regular basis.
- - Oversee the creating, manipulating and modification of technical drawings of owned category products, using Adobe Illustrator and PLM system, based on the Product Brief driven by Product Line Managers (PLM)
- - Using input from PLM and Design, accounting requirements, and company knowledge, will oversee the creation of technical packages, containing accurate technical drawings, bills of material, construction, implement packaging requirements from marketing and other technical information to be used by factories in calculating costs and producing products.
- - Together with the Design and PLM groups, the Technical Designer will review prototypes and pre-production samples against technical packages and oversee the formulation, feedback and corrections needed from the factory for future prototypes.
- - Collaborate with others in the department to manage workloads to meet deadlines while achieving the highest level of quality and accuracy
- - Support & assist Design in establishing all product specifications required in the Tech Pack;
- - Able to use Patternmaking, fabric, cut and sew knowledge to improve quality, fit and function.
- - Serves as a proactive conduit between the designer and sourcing throughout the development of product.
- - Accountable for staying on calendar, adhering to process, prototype evaluations, accuracy of the Technical Data Package and follow through on accuracy of sales sample and production data packages
- - Oversees the creation of documented evaluations of each prototype against its agreed product specification, tracking all comments, changes and specifications during the stages of evaluation.
- - Delivers all category products to a specific target FOB
- - Proactively communicates with internal team, contractors, Manufacturing Facilities, Sourcing team, and material management staff during the entire development process;
- - Oversee the documentation of consumption into Bill of Materials
- - Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested and within timeline constraints
Bachelors’ Degree in Technical/Fashion Design or equivalent expertise in related area with a minimum of 5 years’ experience. Fashion and patternmaking/CAD experience needed. Strong computer skills. Adobe Illustrator, Microsoft Office and Photoshop are required. Strong ability to adhere to deadlines is a must. Delivers accurate data on-time and in-full. Advanced knowledge of apparel fit/construction and costing. Excellent written and oral communication. Advanced apparel/product knowledge and ability to research and know global markets and competition is preferred. Must be able to present products professionally in front of large groups of people.
Manage international shipments. Coordinate the daily shipping activities of the terminal locations for International and domestic shipments. Participate in compliance, carrier performance, and cost comparison reviews.
Duties and responsibilities
- - Serve as liaison to Customer teams to develop systems solutions (requirements, user testing, etc.) to support logistics programs, including Direct Fulfillment. Partners with key cross-functional partners to solicit customer and associate feedback to identify program improvement opportunities for implementation.
- - Ascertain industry/logistics best practices to identify new and/or unique programs to differentiate Customer from the marketplace and drive customer satisfaction.
- - Responsible for internal communications and presentations related to key performance metrics, program updates and on-going program information.
- - Manages the supply of logistics-related data to support customers in the day-to-day general areas of engineering, supply, configuration management, technical requirements identification, installation and maintenance of equipment, safety and documentation development and maintenance. Investigates potential risk and other matters of significance, and provides and implements solutions.
- - Consults with assigned clients to understand their distribution networks and determines the logistics resources required to support equipment, safety, personnel and maintenance. Negotiates with supply sources to meet technical requirements.
- - Works in conjunction with various parties such as business development, field support and customer service to handle complaints and ensure support plans are in place to maintain long-term customer relationships.
- - Analyzes and evaluates design concepts and integration support requirements to determine if concepts satisfy support requirements. Implements, monitors and adjusts solutions to ensure the integration of support considerations as needed.
- - Analyzes technology and distribution network trends and implements changes in department as appropriate.
- - Works with HR to select and hire employees. Trains and evaluates employees to enhance their performance, development, and work product. Addresses performance issues and makes recommendations for personnel actions. Motivates and rewards employees including providing salary increases, bonuses and promotions within allocated budgets and company guidelines.
- - Prepares and recommends operating and personnel budgets for approval. Monitors spending for adherence to budget, recommends variances as necessary.
- - Responsible for the strategic and operational planning of Customer logistics operations.
- - Ensure that partners understand and accept Customer guidelines and requirements for all logistics operations, including service and repair.
- - Manage on-going partner relationships
- - Root cause analysis and problem resolution for all logistics operations
- - Serve as liaison with all internal and external partners for daily operational activities
- - Track, analyze and communicate key performance metrics
- - Responsible for all logistics operations and support across all distribution channels.
- - Drives the design, development, implementation and management of logistics solutions for Customer.
- - Analyze the financial impact of proposed logistics changes, such as routing, shipping modes, product volumes or mixes, or carriers.
- - Collaborate with other departments to integrate logistics with business systems or processes, such as customer sales, order management, accounting, or shipping.
- - Create policies or procedures for logistics activities.
- - Direct inbound or outbound logistics operations, such as transportation or warehouse activities, safety performance, or logistics quality management.
- - Establish or monitor specific supply chain-based performance measurement systems.
- - Implement specific customer requirements, such as internal reporting or customized transportation metrics.
- - Maintain metrics, reports, process documentation, customer service logs, or training or safety records.
- - Negotiate with suppliers or customers to improve supply chain efficiency or sustainability.
- - Plan or implement improvements to internal or external logistics systems or processes.
- - Recommend purchase of new or improved technology, such as automated systems.
- - Resolve problems concerning transportation, logistics systems, imports or exports, or customer issues.
- - Supervise the work of logistics specialists, planners, or schedulers.
- - Communicate freight transportation information to customers or suppliers, using transportation management, electronic logistics marketplace, or electronic freight information systems, to improve efficiency, speed, or quality of transportation services.
- - Direct or coordinate comprehensive logistical or reverse logistical functions for product life cycles, including acquisition, distribution, internal allocation, delivery, recycling, reuse, or final disposal of resources.
- - Recommend optimal transportation modes, routing, equipment, or frequency.
- - Analyze all aspects of corporate logistics to determine the most cost-effective or efficient means of transporting products or supplies.
- - Develop risk management programs to ensure continuity of supply in emergency scenarios.
- - Direct distribution center operation to ensure achievement of cost, productivity, accuracy, or timeliness objectives.
- - Ensure carrier compliance with company policies or procedures for product transit or delivery.
- - Monitor product import or export processes to ensure compliance with regulatory or legal requirements.
- - Plan or implement material flow management systems to meet production requirements.
- - Design models for use in evaluating logistics programs or services.
- - Negotiate transportation rates or services.
- - Participate in carrier management processes, such as selection, qualification, or performance evaluation.
- - Train shipping department personnel in roles or responsibilities regarding global logistics strategies.
- - Review global, national, or regional transportation or logistics reports for ways to improve efficiency or minimize the environmental impact of logistics activities.
- - Conduct or review environmental audits for logistics activities, such as storage, distribution, or Transportation.
- - Develop plans or set goals to reduce carbon emissions associated with storage or transport activities.
- - Implement or monitor carbon or environmental management, accounting, or audit systems.
- - Prepare or file environmental certification applications.
- - Bachelors Degree preferred.
- - Five years of experience is preferred.
- - Knowledge of international transportation law and regulations.
- - Advanced PC skills including word processing and spreadsheets.
- - Experience with Microsoft Access would be a plus.
- - Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
Responsibilities may require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little advanced notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Inside work with no exposure to weather conditions.